Thursday, April 7, 2011

Research and findings

So, a great big thanks to Sam, Trinora and Anon for pointing out that the phrase on the note was Finnish. Also, a great big thanks to Sam for doing the google translate work and the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemminkäinen . I actually checked for myself after having been told it was Finnish, and google translate actually still gives me "Check the folder"(more on that later).

Also, a great big thanks to Trinora for pointing out that the drawn cello actually looks like Slender Man. It's interesting that I somehow got a tall skinny man confused with an instrument. I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day.

It seems that Lemminkäinen was a great hero in Finnish mythology. His story is that died and rose from the dead and historians think he is analogous to the viking deity Balder. I'm actually familiar with Balder's story and he is more prominently featured as the king of the gods after the final battle of Ragnarok. I can't really say who or what would be "Beloved Lemminkäinen". If it's me it might be a bad omen, if it's someone else it's a worse omen.

As for the first part of the message (which I saved for last) I checked every folder I own before it dawned on me that part of the reason I bought that journal was because it has a small pocket in the back that I had meant to put clippings and such in. When I checked it, I found this:

From the german note

From the german note

It is a piece of paper(torn from the notebook itself) folded like a envelope. When I unfolded it I found these passages:

From the german note

From the german note


Lucky for me I can read this one. I'm not sure why the first message was in Finnish and the second was in German, but then again I do a lot of things that don't make when I'm in a post seizure state.

The first passage is something I saw carved into a table in a German bar. I didn't really pay it much attention when I first saw it and didn't bother taking a picture, as it seemed unimportant. I had completely forgotten about it until now.

It says:

Here are the words:
Come little children
in my burning embrace
we will with one another go
and learn the secrets of the eternal

Which is bizarre, and I have no more idea now what it says than I did then. I'm open to all interpretations because it seems like gibberish.

The second one, however, really interested me. Here is how I've seen it translated:

"He calls it Reason—thence his power's increased,
To be far beastlier than any beast."

"Auch, vergessen nicht" just means "also, don't forget" and is not part of the quote.

It's actually a line from Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe's epic Faust. When Mephistopheles (that's the devil and villain in the story) visits God in heaven he has a conversation with him in which he proclaims that humanity is stupid and he has no idea why they are paid any attention. The "beastlier than any beast" line is actually one of my favorites in the play, with "Prologue in Heaven" being my favorite chapter.

I can't really figure out why I did this. Wires tend to get crossed when I seize and it isn't uncommon for me to say or do things that don't make any sense.

5 comments:

  1. I'm very glad I helped, Anomie. Although I don't get most of the stuff you figured out then...

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short Summary: Lemminkaenan is the name of a Finnish hero. He died and rose again.

    I found another note I wrote (I don't know when. Maybe earlier.) that had two quotes on it. The first is something I read as graffiti in Germany and the second is a favorite quote of mine from Faust.

    I haven't the faintest idea what any of it means or why I wrote it. I'm open to listening to all interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember reading from somewhere that the Slender Man mythos started from old stories of the German "Der GroBmann" (Don't have German characters to fix that B, sorry) - translates to "The Tall Man".
    Though I'm sure you know tha already.
    But I also remember there being something saying there were Finnish roots.
    That might explain what why the notes are in those languages.

    Hope I helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard about "Der Grossmann" (you can use a double s for an esset when typing on English keyboards, btw) but never the Finnish link. That's very very interesting. I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the summary, Anomie. Couldn't find the connection, but thanks to SGT you have a new lead :D I hope you can figure things out.

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete