Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hypnagogia

Hypnagogia is the state between wakefulness and dreams.

Hypnagogia is often accompanied by hallucinations.

I was drifting off yesterday during a light rain storm and I had a vivid hypnagogic hallucination.

I was in my bed, when a specter came to me. She stood over me, and I slowly realized it was a mirror image of myself with very little pigment. Her skin was fairer, hair was white blond, and her eyes lacked all color. She stared at me, and began to speak.
"Reach out [Anomie]. You must reach out,"
I couldn't respond. Hypnagogia is often accomapnied by paralysis. She spoke again.
"You must listen [Anomie]. The others . . . " and although I could see her lips moving, I couldn't hear what she was saying. Everything was covered over by static like you hear on the radio when you're just getting out of range of the station's signal.
She realized what had happened and stopped. She started again, and I could hear her this time.
"[Anomie] reach out before its dark. We think, therefore we are," She reached her hand toward me, and her hand was stopped just above my bed. Her palm flattened out as if it were pressed against glass.

Suddenly a crack of thunder snapped me out of the hypnagogic state I was in and she was gone.

I think I met Lemminkaenen. How do you suppose I reach out?

No comments:

Post a Comment